Featured Not resolved

I bought a U46E in 2011.I only used the laptop at night so open and close maybe once each night max.

After casual use, the front benzel cracked, the screen is separating from the benzel. Called Tech Support and they said mail it in and they will give and estimate to repair. I indicated this was a common problem with this model and will they fix it even if out of warranty? A front benzel and hinge costs $100 in parts alone.

Tech support just continued with the script that it is out of warranty.

Too bad that this is a common issue.

Review about: Asus Laptop.

Had an Experience with Asus?

Comments

Denver, Colorado, United States #1057104

Just a helpful hint. I wouldn't have posted a picture of your Windows Product Key. Anyone can use that key and cause your computer to not be activated properly anymore =/ if you can, I would remove the picture or blur that part out at least.

Kyle, Texas, United States #961883

One of the most common reasons this happens is because the fastening screws becomes loose on the hinge and start acting like a pry bar on the hinge tabs.The screws put excessive stresses on the tabs, which eventually causes them to fail.

This happens on pretty much every laptop that uses hinges of this type.

You can prevent it from happening by remembering to tighten the screws on the screen and the bottom of the unit every few months.Using loctite won't help (they put it on at the factory) because the screw still eventually works loose from the stresses put on the screw head.